Sorry for being absent for several days. Like I said the holiday hustle and bustle is in full swing. I hope you are enjoying your holiday season so far. We’re decorated and festive and almost partied out, but looking forward to Christmas day and the weekend with our families. I’d love to hear about traditions you and your family have that you do every year.
For this post I’m bringing out one of my husbands favorites. I’m not sure where I found the original recipe, but I’ve adapted it to fit with what my family likes. Even my 2.5 year old likes these sandwiches!
I typically make these sandwich sliders after we’ve had a meal of pulled pork or chicken because I always have left over Hawaiian Rolls. I love these rolls, I just wish I could perfect the process to make them from scratch instead of having to buy them at the store. I’ll share my steps below and then the full recipe at the end.
Start off by cutting the Hawaiian rolls in half and place in a bakine dish (I used glass, but sometime use those aluminum foil pans if transporting). Spread mayo (I used organic) on the bottom half. Normally I like to cook at least six of these, but we only had five left in the package so we settled for one less…
I added one slice each of deli ham and turkey and topped it off with a slice of colby jack cheese.
Add the tops of the rolls to the baking dish. Now comes the yummy part.
In a microwave safe bowl, melt the butter, then add the mustard, onion powder, Worcestershire sauce and brown sugar and mix until well combined. (Sorry I did not get a picture of this step :/)
Now pour the yummy sauce over the sandwiches and spread evenly if necessary. Cover with aluminum foil and bake in the oven at 400 degrees for 10 minutes. Then remove the foil and bake for an additional 5-10 minutes until golden brown with melted cheese.
I wasn’t even able to get a plated picture taken before my family was attacking the kitchen to devour the yummy goodness.
The fun thing about this recipe is you can make so many combinations; really any combination of cheese and deli meat you like would probably work. The measurements for the sauce are also very much up to you and what taste you like best. You could use different types of mustard, such as dijon or honey mustard. If you like more of a garlic taste you could add / substitute garlic powder for the onion powder. The best part is you can really make this recipe your own!
- 6 Hawaiian Rolls, cut in half
- Mayonnaise, to taste
- 6 slices Deli Ham
- 6 slices Deli Turkey
- 6 slices Colby Jack Cheese
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 1/2 teaspoon Yellow Mustard
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
In a baking dish place bottom half of Hawaiian rolls and top with mayo. Add lunch meat of your choice and 1 slice of cheese and replace the top half of the roll.
In a small microwave safe bowl melt the butter and then add the mustard, onion powder, Worcestershire sauce and brown sugar. Mix sauce until well combined and pour over the sandwiches.
Cover with aluminum foil and bake in the oven at 400 degrees for 10 minutes. Then remove the foil and bake for an additional 5-10 minutes until golden brown with melted cheese.
Hope you enjoy these yummy sandwiches as much as my family does. Until next time 🙂
Don’t forget if you would be interested in helping to support our family during our upcoming adoption, here are ways you can 🙂 We are so thankful to those that have contacted us to let us know they are praying and for those that have donated to help us. We’ve raised a little over $1,600 so far thanks to friends, family and even complete strangers.
- Prayer. If you are someone who prays, will you pray for us, for our family, for our future birthmom and for the child she is carrying and considering placing for adoption. Pray that our process will go quickly and smoothly.
- Encouragement. Check-in with us. Help us to remember what the work and wait are for.
- Financial. We are working to raise $25,000 to cover the costs (agency fees, legal fees, social workers, etc) involved with bringing our daughter into our family. If you have the financial means to support our adoption, no amount is too small or too big; $5 to $5,000 – any and all funds will help! 100% of your financial support will go toward our adoption costs, thanks to Adopt Together. You can contribute by going to: www.adopttogether.org/babygeiger. We have partnered with this great organization, Adopt Together, which is a non-profit specifically created to help families like ours raise the funds needed for adoption. They are an IRS recognized 501(c)(3) organization and donations are tax deductible.